For the purposes of my photo-book, I researched and practiced multiple different stab binding techniques and patterns to make sure my final Artefact was to the best quality standard I could make it.

I found a great website that offered multiple different Stab-binding tutorials.

I did the basic one first just to get back into the swing of things

Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 00.28.19 Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 00.28.45

I then looked at more complicated ones and experimented with the ‘tortoise shell’ pattern.

Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 00.28.53 Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 00.29.02


I liked it, so decided to try it on my tester book that I got printed.

Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 00.29.09

However, I then discovered the ‘Hemp Leaf’ pattern. After testing this one, I asked three different people which one they preferred, and they all said the ‘Hemp Leaf’ pattern was their favourite.

Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 00.29.25Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 00.29.17


So I have decided to use this pattern for my final book. I think it is an attractive pattern that fills up the two inches of space in a way that doesn’t make the book look lopsided or to ’empty’.